The history of Osaka Prefecture University can be traced back as far as 1883
when Juigaku-Koshujo (獣医学講習所) was established.
The area around Furitsu-Osaka-Igakko (府立大阪医学校), which housed Juigaku-Koshujo (獣医学講習所)
The western-style main building of Osaka-Furitsu-Nogakko (大阪府立農学校) on Okachiyama
Osaka-Furitsu-Nogakko (大阪府立農学校) used to be on this site.
In the Meiji period (1868-1912), veterinAreans were trained with three objectives in mind: maintaining the military horses of the army; maintaining the health of working animals; and developing a modern livestock industry.
Agricultural schools were established from 1868 onwards nationwide including Sapporo-Nogakko (札幌農学校) and Komaba-Nogakko (駒場農学校). In Osaka, Juigaku-Koshujo (獣医学講習所) was established inside Furitsu-Osaka-Igakko (府立大阪医学校) in 1883 as a training institution for veterinAreans in Kita-ku, Osaka city. Those aged 17 years old or older were eligible to enter the school and two years were required for graduation. Juigaku-Koshujo (獣医学講習所) was later taken over by the veterinArean department of Osaka-Furitsu-Nogakko (大阪府立農学校) established in 1888. Two years later, Osaka-Furitsu-Nogakko (大阪府立農学校) moved to new school buildings in Tsuruhashi-mura, Higashinari-gun in Osaka city (current Ikuno-ku, Osaka city). The Western-style new main building was particularly noticeable. The school on the new campus was also called Kachiyama Nogakko (勝山農学校).
Furitsu-Osaka-Igakko (府立大阪医学校), which originally housed Juigaku-Koshujo (獣医学講習所), is the predecessor of the medical department of Osaka-Teikoku-Daigaku (大阪帝国大学) (the current Faculty of Medicine at Osaka University). This shows that the higher education institutions in Osaka have been closely connected to each other over their histories.